Pages

Tuesday 14 September 2010

Paper Sculpture - my favourite medium! (Tutorials coming soon!)

If I had to pick one thing concerning my creativity that I would NEVER give up, (it would be extremely difficult to pick) but it would be my paper crafting and sculpture. It covers so many areas such as quilling, folding, decoupage, cutouts, etc. I love to work with paper so much - the different weights, textures and colours and how each respond differently to manipulation. I may be weird but it gets me going - but each to their own, eh? If I could be paid enough to do nothing but paper sculpture, that would be ideal. One day it will happen!

I will be posting often on this topic, so I wanted to use this as an introductory post on the subject and show some works I have previously done. I am working on a big project at the moment and taking pictures along the way, so when it's done I will give a write up and tutorial for anyone who wants to try this amazing art form.

The way I work focuses heavily on layering techniques, and very importantly - lighting, to convey emotion and show the work in it's true form or the way it is meant to be seen.

Some previous works; the first few pictures are from my final self directed project during my degree - the theme was Imprints, and I took the memories of a good friend after interviewing her and making a series of paper sculptures.It's actually not finished, there is alot i want to do with it, but here are some images as they stand now:

Introductory / typographic sculpture  
'Nanna' and 'Poppa's' wedding day
A close up of the bouquet, made with wedding confetti!
Watching through the window
Daffodils
Another piece I made for self promotion (they went on business cards)


A very recent piece, done in practice for my new secret project!

Without Lighting, still interesting and beautiful
Lighting makes all the difference
A closer and more detailed / high contrast view
Anyway, I hope you see why I love paper - so versatile and so beautiful. All of the sculptures are made with nothing but paper, maybe glue, 3d tape, knives obviously, scissors and like the last image some jewels used for decoration.

Hope you enjoyed this! More to come, so stay posted!

8 comments:

  1. Wow!!
    Great idea, looks fantastic:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I am glad you did as I came to visit yours and WOW....your work is amazing! I also notice that we are almost neighbours as I too live in Derbyshire! I am also your new follower so I can see more of your lovely creations.
    Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, it mean alot to get good feedback - especially from people who are so brilliant themselves!

    Deb - lucky us living in Derbyshire! I am right in the centre, Derby City - but I have family in New Mills and Buxton and it's beautiful. Some gorgeous scenery.

    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love your paper sculptures:) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Paper sculptures are really special a great medium for your creativity! P.s. just read you were in Norway too, hope you enjoyed your stay there as much as I did. I lived there for 3 yrs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Hannah!

    Thanks Nicole - great of you to stop by :) Yeah I love Norway, my fiance is Norwegian so I get to go once or twice a year, which is nice - I was on my own when I lived in Bergen though so was lonely til I made friends! But yeah, I think it's the most beautiful place in the world! where did you live in Norway?

    ps - love your blog(s)! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca, this work is beautiful. I adore the last one...stunning.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    Right I'm going to go and take another look...
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! There is more on it's way! x

    ReplyDelete